Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Double Trouble SP 1/21--Golden-crowned Kinglet, Eastern Bluebird

Back to local birding. I drove over to Double Trouble about noon to get a walk in before the snow began. I figured with Whitesbog frozen over, the Tundra Swans had to go somewhere and the biggest body of open water nearby would be the reservoir at the park. I was right; there were 53 swans there by my "exact" count. eBird's filter flags that as a high count. I don't know when these filters were written, but Tundra Swans are not rare in this area and 50 swans is not a particularly large flock.
24 swans right here, by my count

& a few more:
The weather was holding so I took my usual walk around the bogs, reversing my usual route to stave off boredom. It seemed pretty quiet there and I wasn't expecting much of anything else to turn up. Walking back on the other side of Cedar Creek I heard a high-pitched call note. I stopped, pished, and a single Golden-crowned Kinglet popped up on a cedar branch. I walked a couple of hundred feet along the trail before I realized that was an FOY bird. 

Along the dikes of the back bogs, on Sweetwater Lane to be specific, I heard what I thought was a bluebird. It, to my ear, is a mournful little sigh, almost like wind sloughing. I should, by now, have more confidence in my ear, but I don't like to "count" calls in any event. It didn't matter, because, just before I put my bins up to look at four sparrows on the road, a beautiful male Eastern Bluebird flew from one side of the bog to the other. Later, I saw two males flying back the other way. Both birds seemed to me surprisingly bright blue with deep red breasts. The sky was very gray by then, so it wasn't sunlight playing tricks on me. Both birds were too far and too fast to even attempt a photo. 

Two more birds for the years, 3 more for the county and I got back before the snow started to fall.

10 species
Tundra Swan  53     
Ring-billed Gull  21     f/o
Carolina Chickadee  2
White-breasted Nuthatch  1     Heard
Golden-crowned Kinglet  1
Eastern Bluebird  2     
American Robin  1     Heard
Song Sparrow  5
Dark-eyed Junco  12
American Goldfinch  1

No comments:

Post a Comment