Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Eastern Shore of Virginia NWR 11/9--Golden Eagle

Here's another bird I don't call on my own. After finding the kingbird we drove way down to the tip of peninsula to an NWR that reminded us of some sections of Gateway NRA in NJ & NY since both places have sections of repurposed army bases.

Generally, I don't like hawk-watching because when I stare into the sky, I have a difficult time separating the speck birds from the vitreous floaters in my eyes. So I may only glance at a kettle of vultures and I will almost always miss the one interesting raptor in their midst. But with help from Scott & Linda I was able to see this year's Golden Eagle, picking out the white on the tail even though it was way up in the clouds.

Later, at another area, I saw a second (or perhaps the same one) a little better, in that I could make out the white spots beneath the wings of a juvenile bird.

Still, I'd rather see one perched, or at least flying relatively low as Bald Eagles do. Incidentally, Bald Eagles were so numerous on this trip that by the end of the trip I stopped looking when when was called out, as if they were doves or Mallards.

More satisfying to me than seeing the Golden Eagle was seeing, instead of hearing, a few Purple Finches.

26 species
Black Vulture  2
Turkey Vulture  100
Golden Eagle  1
Northern Harrier  1
Sharp-shinned Hawk  3
Cooper's Hawk  2
Bald Eagle  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Downy Woodpecker  1
Blue Jay  1
American Crow  10
Tree Swallow  1
Carolina Wren  5     Heard
Eastern Bluebird  1
American Robin  200
Gray Catbird  2
Northern Mockingbird  1
Cedar Waxwing  20
Yellow-rumped Warbler  50
Field Sparrow  1
White-throated Sparrow  1     Heard
Dark-eyed Junco  1
Northern Cardinal  1
Red-winged Blackbird  10
Purple Finch  3
American Goldfinch  2

No comments:

Post a Comment