Saturday, January 4, 2014

Schoolhouse Road 1/4--Golden-crowned Kinglet

We were supposed to go on a field trip to look for waterfowl in Monmouth County this morning but when we arose the temperature here in Whiting was minus 7. Aside from the hypothermia threat, what birds were we going to see when all the water is frozen? We decided not to go.

I spent the morning monitoring the feeders. Amazing how hardy these winter birds are, flitting around on the snow picking off seeds. Our over-wintering Pine Warblers made another appearance at the suet feeder and I was able to get one good photo. Bright male on the left, the first year female (probably) split by the icicle on the right.

By mid-afternoon the temperature had reached a sub-tropical 29 degrees and I could bear being house-bound no longer so I took a walk through the village over to the power line cut off Schoolhouse Road. Right before I reached entrance, in a field with a few bare trees, I saw some activity and heard the familiar buzz of Golden-crowned Kinglets.  I managed to pish a couple into sight after they had dived into a tangle. They're the only FOY I got today.

I've found that the tops of the power line towers are very reliable for Red-tailed Hawks and today there was one on the first tower off the road.
They're very skittish, considering how high up they are. I approached 10 more steps and it flew off.




No comments:

Post a Comment