Sunday, January 15, 2012

To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail

Fantasy Me
Yesterday, in my ongoing effort to frustrate the squirrels who have been frustrating me by attacking the suet cage, I got out Shari’s tree trimmer pole and sawed off a branch that they have  been using to launch themselves, making heroic leaps (some of which failed, hilariously, the squirrels flailing their legs like cartoon characters) onto the cage. It took just a little time to get the technique, but once I did I easily cut off the branch. Then, thinking that the branch still afforded them a usable platform, I cut it shorter. In my almost 61 years, I’ve never sawed off a tree branch. I felt a giddy sense of accomplishment. And I started looking around to see if there were any more branches in need of a trimming.  Or even any branches that didn’t.

Wisely, I put the pole back in the garage. Since then, only chickadees, titmice and a couple of woodpeckers have been on the cage. Maybe I’ve finally won. Or maybe the suet is not enough incentive to find a way to the cage; perhaps the squirrels are waiting for a new seedcake.  

Because I know squirrels have to eat too, and because their acorn food source is scarce this year, I threw down a couple of cups of peanuts on the lawn. It amused me to see titmice taking 3 peanuts for every one the squirrels managed to munch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment