Thursday, January 5, 2012

New York Public Library 1/5--Yellow-breasted Chat

I had to go into New York today for a 20 minute appointment. I went early so I could get in some birding and not waste the entire day. Since the bus dropped me off on 42nd St I walked over to the NYPL to see if I could find the Yellow-breasted Chat that's been reported there for about a month.  I stood on the northeast corner of the library, looking into a couple of evergreen still decorated for the holidays. Another guy there said if I was looking for the chat it was in the tree on the right, just starting to move around. I caught a glimpse of its yellow breast and then it went deeper into the tree. "It's just waking up," the other birder said. Apparently he knows its routine, because just then the bird popped out of the tree onto the plaza, perched for a few seconds on the crossbars of a chair, then hopped around with the White-throated & House Sparrows. Wow, what a weird bird for Manhattan in January. It's been a couple of years since I've seen this species, so the day was already a success, assuming the appointment went well (it did).

Chats are an oddball species, formerly grouped with the wood-warblers, but compared to other warblers it's a bruiser, about 50% larger than the other warblers. The taxonomists have lately taken it out of the warbler family, but where it belongs is still undecided. Right now it's one of those monotypic taxons that I like so much.

I still had plenty of time so I went up to Central Park, entering at 60th Street which I never do, so I had a much different route through the park than usual. The first thing I saw as I entered was a flock of pigeons take off. At the same time I saw a Red-tailed Hawk land on a low branch. Blue Jays were surrounding it, screeching, one practically screaming in its ear, but the hawk paid them no mind.

Wandering around the park, the time started to get away from me, so I didn't have time to go up to the reservoir as I planned; instead I made my way to the feeders which were very active, especially with House Finches. I saw all the usual winter birds there except the one bird I could really "use" for the year list--Black-capped Chickadee. How could I miss that one?

19 species in Central Park plus the chat--the chat made the long bus rides worth it.
Canada Goose  5
Mallard  100
Northern Shoveler  20
Sharp-shinned Hawk  1
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Ring-billed Gull  50
Rock Pigeon  40
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Downy Woodpecker  1
Blue Jay  8
Tufted Titmouse  6
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
American Robin  1
European Starling  25

Yellow-breasted Chat   1
White-throated Sparrow  20
Dark-eyed Junco  3
House Finch  10
American Goldfinch  5
House Sparrow  70

No comments:

Post a Comment