Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Prospect Park 11/2--Eastern Bluebirds

"Well, at least you saw some robins and geese today," I said to myself today as I was coming out of The Ravine heading toward the Sparrow Bowl. I hadn't seen anything special to that point. The ball field enclosure was utterly barren this morning, the grass frosted, discouraging for any sparrows. Everywhere else was "as usual."

I saw Mary on the slope looking intently into the bowl and figured she might have something interesting. Just then 2 red-tails flew in and some birds popped up out of the grass, sat briefly on the fence, then took off, going in the opposite direction of the hawks--3 Eastern Bluebirds that I could count. (Mary had 6.) Those are the first bluebirds I've ever seen in the park and, for that matter, all of Kings County. Happy was I. My happiness was tempered somewhat when Mary told me that just before I got there, 40 pipits had flown overhead. Typical.

But the bluebirds do make the day. 34 species altogether,  just like yesterday, though the mix was a little different.

34 species (+1 other taxa)
Canada Goose  3    f/o Long Meadow
Mute Swan  9
American Black Duck  1    West Island
American Black Duck x Mallard (hybrid)  1
Mallard  80
Northern Shoveler  9
Ruddy Duck  34
Double-crested Cormorant  1
Red-tailed Hawk  2
American Coot  12
Ring-billed Gull  40
Herring Gull  10
Rock Pigeon  4
Mourning Dove  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  3
Downy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  3
Blue Jay  12
American Crow  1
Black-capped Chickadee  3
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
Golden-crowned Kinglet  1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  1
Eastern Bluebird  3    Sparrow Bowl
Hermit Thrush  5
American Robin  15
European Starling  5
Yellow-rumped Warbler  1
Chipping Sparrow  1    LP 249
Savannah Sparrow  1    LP 249
Song Sparrow  10
White-throated Sparrow  75
Dark-eyed Junco  50
Northern Cardinal  2
House Sparrow  30

1 comment:

  1. Larry,
    Riding after work last week I watched two bluebirds on a phonebwire, in GB. Yesterday, saw a red-tailed hawk right after it caught a grey squirrel. But most interesting to you, a reliable birder reports a white fronted goose on Pontoosuc (sp?) Lake. Love your reports!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete