Monday, November 7, 2011

Backyard & WMA 11/7

A pretty birdy day for just hanging around the house and taking a walk in the WMA.

It started off at 6:30 this morning when Shari noticed a hawk in the bird magnet tree across the path. Considering time of year, shape, size, and squared off tail (it was back lit by the rising sun so we couldn't see any coloration or details) it was a Sharp-shinned Hawk, another new yard bird.

I took my morning walk in the WMA and in the first "meadow" I found a flock of Eastern Bluebirds. I watched them for a while, noting how they flew, which came in handy later in the day. I walked out to the lake, noting the usual chickadees, titmice, and nuthatches along the way. Finally, ducks on the lake; 2 Mallards, a drake and a hen, no big deal, but hey, it's a start. On the way back a flock of about 30 Ring-billed Gulls flew over--we're far enough from the ocean for gulls to be a surprise. Maybe they'll be attracted to the lake. At the second meadow on the return portion of the walk, I watched a kettle of 8 Turkey Vultures.

My occasional glances at the feeders today found virtually nothing, but at around 4 o'clock, as the sun was setting, I looked at the dead tree again. The lighting at that time of day is perfect for watching birds up there--the sun almost spot lights them. I saw a small flock of birds with red-breasts and my first reaction was robins, but then I noticed how they fluttered instead of having the strong flight of robins and realized I'd seen that kind of flight this morning so I had 6 bluebirds flying from branch to branch--yet another new yard species. My only disappointment is that they took off before my neighbor, who says he's never seen bluebirds down here, was able to get a look at them.

18 species today and no gasoline used.

Mallard   WMA
Turkey Vulture WMA
Sharp-shinned Hawk  Yard
Ring-billed Gull  WMA
Mourning Dove   Yard
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker Yard
Downy Woodpecker  WMA
Blue Jay   WMA
American Crow  WMA
Carolina Chickadee  Both
Tufted Titmouse  Both
White-breasted Nuthatch  Both
Eastern Bluebird  Both
American Robin  WMA
Song Sparrow  Yard
White-throated Sparrow  WMA
Dark-eyed Junco  Both
Northern Cardinal   Yard

No comments:

Post a Comment