Monday, July 11, 2011

Signs from the Archives

While I was up in the Berkshires last week, I was reminiscing about some of my favorite signs (the upside down "8" among them berkshire-humor) so I thought I'd just post them. Most of these signs are long gone; I don't have dates for when I took these photos, but they're probably 20 or more years old and the signs were old then. I'm glad I documented them
Seventh Avenue S betw Clarkson & St. Luke's

I always liked this one because of its modesty: We're not bragging that this is the best wiring you're ever going to see, we're not ones for tooting our own horn, but the wiring in this building will do, it's adequate. (The last time I passed this building, probably a couple of years ago, this sign still existed.)

Church & Walker Streets




In my imagination, one Freund took care of the ticks and the other Freund handled the tickings. (Sign has long since been painted over.)
Varick & Spring Streets
















Well, which is it, with an "i" or an "e"? Eureka, I don't have it. (Gone, replaced by a Trump Hotel.)
This truck could always been seen on the streets of Greenwich Village when I worked down there. I remember it as having "Purveyor of Fine Meats" written on the side panels. Why does the word "purveyor" in any context sound sleazy and illicit?
Finally, one of only historical interest. This sign was revealed when a billboard that was covering it was removed from a building on Grove Street in the Village, near the Pink Teacup, where I and my friends used to eat extraordinarily high cholesterol lunches for which some of us are now paying . Even 20 years ago this sign seemed really ancient--I was just barely a teenager when it was slapped on the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment