Friday, July 29, 2011

Prospect Park 7/29

Lullwater
I hadn't been to the park in almost 2 months, so I decided to go this morning just to add, if nothing else, a Green Heron to the month list. Not that it's any great accomplishment, but I knew right where to look (the Lullwater) and there one was, perched on a floating tree branch.

While I was on the Peninsula I saw a sandpiper fly by and figured it was a spotted. Again, I knew a likely spot to find it (an area covered in black plastic to kill--I think--invasive plants) and coming around the bend of the path I found one, alternate plumage, tottering along the plastic.

Dead of summer, I didn't expect to find much else, so I was pleased with those two birds plus the another heron an egret, and a Wood Duck in eclipse.

Canada Goose population is starting to build up--I saw a lot of goslings. Don't tell the Dept of Ag. Hey, maybe their budget will be cut!

26 species
Canada Goose  42
Mute Swan  10
Wood Duck  1    Upper Pool
Mallard  98
Double-crested Cormorant  1    Lullwater
Great Blue Heron  1    Upper Pool
Great Egret  1    Lake
Green Heron  2    Lullwater & Three Sisters
Spotted Sandpiper  1    Peninsula
Herring Gull  1
Rock Pigeon  14
Mourning Dove  7
Chimney Swift  1
Northern Flicker  1
Warbling Vireo  1    Upper Pool
Blue Jay  1
American Crow  1
Barn Swallow  6
American Robin  55
Gray Catbird  8
European Starling  70
Northern Cardinal  6
Red-winged Blackbird  6
Common Grackle  7
American Goldfinch  1
House Sparrow  85

No comments:

Post a Comment