Monday, March 14, 2011

Iselin 3/14--First Phoebe

I'm starting to look forward to my morning walks along these suburban streets to "my" little patch of woods. There always seems to be a surprise. House Finch calling from the top of a tree. Four deer running through the woods. (I know they're 4-legged pigeons, but it's still a surprise to see them here in the development.) And just as I was leaving the woods today my first Eastern Phoebe of the year. Flicking its tail, flying from branch to ground and up again. What flies this flycatcher will find right now I don't know, but phoebes are back. It may actually warm up and become spring, hard as that is to believe.

15 species on my 1 mile jaunt this morning:
Canada Goose    29
Mallard    12
Red-tailed Hawk    1
Ring-billed Gull    1
Mourning Dove    10
Red-bellied Woodpecker    3
Eastern Phoebe    1
Blue Jay    10
American Robin    4
White-throated Sparrow    1
Dark-eyed Junco    1
Northern Cardinal    3
Common Grackle    50
House Finch    1
House Sparrow    10

No comments:

Post a Comment