Friday, March 18, 2011

Iselin 3/18--Great Blue Heron

I took a walk into the township woods (forgive us our trespasses) which I've decided to call Blue Jay Woods due to the large numbers of jays calling and flying tree to tree. As I approached the little creek a Great Blue Heron rose from the bank and slowly flew upstream. Nothing unusual for me to see a great blue, but I've never seen one here; thus a new species for my Middlesex County list. I might have a decent county list by the time I leave here next week.

Also got a great look a couple of times at a Carolina Wren calling  exuberantly.

14 species on  the walk.
Canada Goose    9
Great Blue Heron    1
Mourning Dove    5
Red-bellied Woodpecker    3
Blue Jay    10
Carolina Wren    2
American Robin    10
European Starling    2
Song Sparrow    3
White-throated Sparrow    10
Dark-eyed Junco    1
Northern Cardinal    3
Common Grackle    15
House Sparrow    15

No comments:

Post a Comment