Friday, March 11, 2011

Iselin, NJ

Although my parents have lived in Iselin for 46 years, I'm surprisingly unfamiliar with much of the town. I had no curiosity about the place the few years I lived here as a teenager. But being stuck here for the last couple of weeks, I've done some walking around the development and found, to my delight, some woods not a half a mile from the house. They escaped the bulldozer, I think, because of a stream that runs through them and often floods. And this little parcel of nature is full of birds! Nothing amazing, nothing especially rare, but birds to hear and birds to find. On my walks from Aberdeen Avenue to the end of Winding Road where the woods begin I've found 20 species of birds--pretty good diversity for what I think of as a dreary suburb.
ISELIN, NJ
Canada Goose  X
Mallard    4
Turkey Vulture    1
Mourning Dove    4
Red-bellied Woodpecker    1
Downy Woodpecker    1
Northern Flicker    1
Blue Jay    12
American Crow    1
Tufted Titmouse    3
Carolina Wren    2
American Robin    5
Northern Mockingbird    2
European Starling    3
Song Sparrow  1
White-throated Sparrow    2
Dark-eyed Junco    5
Northern Cardinal    1
Common Grackle    12
House Sparrow    5

No comments:

Post a Comment