Monday, January 16, 2023

Marshall's Pond 1/16--Eurasian Wigeon

Procrastination pays. 

I went to Marshall's Pond this morning. This unprepossessing retention pond on the side of a third rate shopping center (guess what store you park near) is famous in Ocean County for attracting rare waterfowl. There is no rational explanation for this phenomenon; it isn't as if it's the only water around. And yet, almost every year some duck or goose of note turns up along with the usual denizens. 

Normally, by this time of year, I've gone up to MacLearie Park in Belmar to play Where's Waldo with a distant flock of American Wigeon, looking for the Eurasian Wigeon, a fairly rare duck which seems to show up annually. But I've been putting it off--it seemed more like obligation than fun, and I wasn't anxious to make another contribution to the Year of Lousy Looks, since you never really get a good look at this pretty bird from that vantage. Apparently, if you scope from the parking lot of the Shell Station down the road, the look is better, but I'm not that bold, and did you notice the word "scope" at the beginning of the sentence? 

So, when I saw late yesterday afternoon a report of a Eurasian Wigeon at that shopping cart filled puddle, I knew where I was starting the birding day. I arrived at 7:14. By 7:20 I'd seen the duck, close by, (no scope required) and took some photos just as dawn was breaking. And the bird is in Ocean County too. 

It isn't the first time I've seen Eurasian Wigeon at this pond, but it was the easiest time I've ever had finding it. Usually, I get there later in the day and sun glare, especially towards the east end of the pond, is always a problem. Not today though. 

And think of all the gas I saved. Makes me feel positively green. 



No comments:

Post a Comment