Sunday, September 25, 2022

Colliers Mills 9/25--Northern Bobwhite

 
I went over to Colliers Mills today, walking along Success Road, hoping for an "interesting" sparrow. Those fields along the road, at this time of year, often turn up big flocks of sparrows and every once in a while one isn't a Chipping, Savannah, or Song Sparrow, all of which were either on the wires or picking seeds from the grass. While walking up the gravel path that is perpendicular to the road and leads, I saw a shape on the side, hard up against the tall grass. At first, I thought it was just a stump, then with my binoculars I thought perhaps meadowlark, but quickly realized it was a  hen Northern Bobwhite

Bobwhites used to be released at Colliers Mills, but as far as I know, the only WMAs in which their release is permitted are Greenwood and Peaslee. I have seen in the past a hen bobwhite with a train of chicks behind her, so I consider this one to be part of a small feral flock that hangs on in the fields and woods. In other words, I'll count it, unlike a pheasant at Manahawkin.

The bird just stood there for a long time, trying to blend in with the foliage. I guess that's one of the survival strategies: If I pretend you can't see me, then you can't see me. Finally, as I approached, she slowly walked into the brush, stealthy, again, as if I couldn't see her even though I was practically on top of her. What I found interesting was the trick of perspective getting closer entailed. With most objects, the closer you are, the bigger it looms, but with this bird, she seemed to shrink as I got nearer. I think this is because binoculars give you a false idea of size and it takes a while for the "naked" eye to adjust to reality.  

No comments:

Post a Comment