Saturday, April 24, 2021

Whitesbog 4/24--Least Sandpiper

Least Sandpiper
Our hoped-for mini-shorebird season at Whitesbog, with the Lower Bog half drawn down, is turning out to be a very mini season indeed. I started my morning there and, aside from the reliable Killdeers, there were only two other shorebirds in the bog: A Lesser Yellowlegs and a Least Sandpiper.  The latter was at "least" new for the year. Also in the bog was a single Blue-winged Teal. Last year we had a big flock of long-staying Blue-winged Teals during the summer draw down, so perhaps this drake was a precursor.

Blue-winged Teal
After two days of inhibiting winds, I thought more passerines would be out and about but in my trek around the Ocean County side of the bogs I only found a few of a few different species except for Common Yellowthroats which numbered in the high teens. There are lots of supposedly easy birds I'm still missing for either my year lists or county lists and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong lately. Probably it is my insistence on birding where I feel like being instead of birding where the birds are almost sure to be. Still, a Gray Catbird, a Black-and-white Warbler, they should be everywhere and, looking at eBird, they apparently are, except the wherever I am yesterday, today, and probably tomorrow too. 

Common  Yellowthroat


No comments:

Post a Comment