Friday, April 5, 2019

Manahawkin WMA 4/5--Glossy Ibis, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

Glossy Ibis
When I left the house it was "unseasonably cool," a euphemism for a cold, damp, windy, drizzly morning, but I headed down to the Manahawkin WMA anyway for the 6th time in 10 days because its combination of habitats gave me the best shot at something new before the weather deteriorated completely. The Townsend's Solitaire has not been spotted since Tuesday and not heard (I'm a little dubious about hearing the squeak of a western rarity; others aren't) since Wednesday.

The woods were fairly quiet on my way out to the impoundments and the birds out there were what I'd expect to find. I walked all the way out to Stafford, but decided that with the wind, it was pointless to go any farther--peering east down toward the Bridge to Nowhere I saw nothing that looked worthy of investigation.

It wasn't until I made the left turn at the T that I saw 4 dark shapes about halfway down the trail. At first, looking through the phragmites under the overcast sky, I took them for black ducks standing in very shallow water. A little closer and a little fewer phragmites revealed them to be my FOY Glossy Ibises. They'd been reported there the last few days, but only a flyovers. I knew that sooner or later I'd get them, but I was rather that it was sooner.

Walking back through the woods, I came up to the now famous "second field" where the TOSO has been viewed. Suddenly there was some activity in the trees and tangles--robin, chickadee, titmouse, nuthatch and yes! as hoped for, a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, perhaps a little early for gnats. It was really hopping around the branches, never staying on a twig for more than a second, so, considering my clumsy gloves, slow focusing camera, and generally poor lighting, I didn't even bother taking the lens cap off.

Happy enough to add two year birds I moved a little faster as my hands got a lot colder. With 2.3 miles walked, I still needed more steps, so I drove over to Cloverdale Farm where there was nothing new but enough birds to keep the walk interesting, including a lingering Pine Siskin and the ever present and always pretty bluebirds.

My Manahawkin WMA list:
29 species (+1 other taxa)
Canada Goose  2    have seen a pair at the "T" the last few times I've been here
Mute Swan  6    Nesting, unfortunately
Blue-winged Teal  2    Back impoundment
Mallard  4
American Black Duck  25
Mallard x American Black Duck (hybrid)  1
Green-winged Teal  30
Hooded Merganser  3    Back impoundment
Ring-necked Pheasant  1    A survivor. Male in mowed field south of first field
Mourning Dove  1
Greater Yellowlegs  17
Herring Gull  5
Great Egret  2
Snowy Egret  7
Glossy Ibis  4    Back impoundment.
Turkey Vulture  1
Bald Eagle  1    Flying over back impoundment, low
Belted Kingfisher  2
Downy Woodpecker  1
Blue Jay  1    Heard
Tree Swallow  10
Carolina Chickadee  1
Tufted Titmouse  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
Carolina Wren  2    Heard
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  1
American Robin  7
Song Sparrow  2
Red-winged Blackbird  20
Yellow-rumped Warbler  3

No comments:

Post a Comment