Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Double Trouble SP | Backyard 4/16--Eastern Whip-poor-will, Purple Martin, Black-and-white Warbler

Black-and-white Warbler
A sad start to the day: Shari & I went to Pete's funeral mass in Toms River. Judging from the attendance, not a lot of birding was going on in Jersey this morning. Before we left the house, there were 3 Pine Siskins at our thistle feeder. We had none all winter, but now that migration is on a few each day are stopping by on their way north. A few years ago, when there was a siskin irruption, we had them every day in the winter through the spring, except for the day Pete came over to put them on his year list. That's what makes birding so interesting, if you consider "interesting" a euphemism for "aggravating."

Feeling morose after we got home, I figured the antidote would be a long walk to get the endorphins flowing. I drove over to Double Trouble because it's close even though I was not expecting much aside from steps since it was the middle of the afternoon with a stiff breeze blowing. The trail to Ore Pond had a few warblers going out but they were of the Palm and Pine variety. On the pond itself was a Mute Swan, which I didn't think much of, though it is "infrequent" according to eBird. Infrequent indeed--turns out to be the first one I've ever seen there in 7+ years. This year I've had my first Mute Swan at Colliers Mills and now Double Trouble. This is definitely not good news.

The trail back from the pond, on the other side of the canal was a little more rewarding. That's where I was able to take the photograph of the Black-and-white Warbler above. Not a rarity by any means, but not a bird to dismiss either.

I walked out to the back bogs and reservoir despite the wind. I was hoping for the kingbird Greg reported a couple of days ago but no luck there. One Tree Swallow over the reservoir on Sweetwater Lane and then, a few minutes later, a larger, much darker swallow that turned out to be my FOY Purple Martin. I wasn't expecting to find one there but was happy to take the sighting.

So, while my list is modest, considering the time of day and weather I think I did well to add two year birds.
19 species
Canada Goose  2
Mute Swan  1
Mallard  1    with RNDU
Ring-necked Duck  8    Back bog on Gowdy
Turkey Vulture  7
Downy Woodpecker  1
Fish Crow  1
Purple Martin  1
Tree Swallow  1
Carolina Chickadee  7
Tufted Titmouse  1
Carolina Wren  1    Heard packing house
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  3
American Robin  2    Heard
Chipping Sparrow  1    Heard parking lot
Eastern Towhee  1    Heard "chwink"
Black-and-white Warbler  2    Trail to Ore Pond and behind sawmill
Palm Warbler  4
Pine Warbler  6
=====================================================================
We heard our first Eastern Whip-poor-will of the year tonight, finally. I was getting worried that, as Shari suggested, the big firebreak that was cut last year in the WMA behind the house had ruined their habitat, because usually we'd have heard one by now. Checking my records I found that the average date seemed to be April 14. However, standing on the back stoop just as it became completely dark I could hear the bird calling back in the woods. In the distance is how we normally hear our first one. Later in the season they seem to come closer to the house, but the first one is always a ways away.

No comments:

Post a Comment