Sunday, April 14, 2019

Manahawkin WMA 4/14--Common Yellowthroat

Usually, I hear a lot more Common Yellowthroats before I ever see my first one of the year and up until this year, I haven't had any problem seeing Eastern Towhees. But today was another example of what makes birding interesting if you consider "interesting" a synonym for both "frustrating" and "inexplicable."

Almost as soon as I started up the reed-lined trail from the parking lot at Manahawkin this very foggy morning, I heard a yellowthroat sing the classic "witchety-witchety" song. I walked up to the approximate spot I thought it might be, pished twice, and, while trying to remember if these warblers even responded to pishing, out popped a nice looking male to say hello, close enough that I didn't even need my bins. It then turned and disappeared into the phragmites.

For the last 3 weeks, ever since we made our trip down to Salem County, I have been hearing towhees off and on. Mostly I've heard "chwink!" and not even a song. (Aside: On Martha's Vineyard, where I first encountered this species, they are known as "Chwinks."). Today, a moment after the yellowthroat disappeared, I heard the mnemonic "Drink your tea-ea" and figured another 5 minutes of aggravation was in store. Instead, two males flew across the road and one was cooperative enough to finally let me get a good long look at him, long enough, even for me to take some decent photos. I like the way he's looking over his shoulder at me as if to say "You caught me for the moment, but I'm on my way."

Other birds I was looking for were not to be seen nor heard. Still, it was a decent and engaging morning with 35. I made a couple of more stops around Barnegat, looking for any new arrivals with no results. At Cloverdale farm though, the bluebirds are nesting and the males are stunning. This is really what makes birding interesting if you consider interesting a synonym for "Wow!"

My Manahawkin list:
35 species
Canada Goose  1    Heard in the fog
Mute Swan  6
Blue-winged Teal  2    with GWTE
Mallard  5
American Black Duck  9
Green-winged Teal  8
Hooded Merganser  1    Front impoundment
Mourning Dove  3
Greater Yellowlegs  1
Herring Gull  15
Great Black-backed Gull  1
Forster's Tern  2
Great Egret  3
Snowy Egret  4    Back Impoundment
Tricolored Heron  1    Back Impoundment
Glossy Ibis  1
Turkey Vulture  1
Belted Kingfisher  1
Northern Flicker  2
Fish Crow  1    Heard
Tree Swallow  20
Carolina Chickadee  3
Tufted Titmouse  1    Heard parking lot
Carolina Wren  2    Heard
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  7
American Robin  2
White-throated Sparrow  1    Heard
Savannah Sparrow  2
Song Sparrow  5
Eastern Towhee  2    Singing males
Red-winged Blackbird  30
Common Yellowthroat  3    Singing Males
Palm Warbler  1    with little flock of yellow rumps
Yellow-rumped Warbler  5    trail along back impoundment
Northern Cardinal  2    woods

No comments:

Post a Comment