Thursday, April 6, 2017

Shelter Cove 4/5--Glossy Ibis

Glossy Ibis
Dense fog warning when I left the house yesterday morning, which was good, I thought, because it would allow me to sneak up on some waders at Shelter Cove Park. They were wading in the playing fields which are even more under water now than they were last week. Puddles abound.

I first saw a flock of 10 Greater Yellowlegs in a puddle back toward the marsh, and then spied a Snowy Egret strutting across the grass. The birds I was looking for I first saw roosting up in an oak, but they flew away before I could get a picture. The silhouette of Glossy Ibis is distinct, and if there was a White-faced Ibis in there, well, I'd never know. Later, I found them, a flock of 7, on the back of the baseball fields. I've blown up the pictures I took and there is still no White-faced among them.

Laughing Gulls, Ring-billed Gulls
The fields were covered in gulls--about an equal number of Laughing Gulls and Ring-billed Gulls with a smattering of Herring. It was raucous to say the least.

A small flock of Canada Geese flew overhead, normally no big deal, but in with them was a long Snow Goose--not rare yet, but getting scarce.

The fog distorts shape and perspective--ducks that looked big out on the bay, upon closer examination, turned out to be little Buffleheads.

It is a great small park and for the hour or so I spent there I garnered 28 species.

Snow Goose 1
Canada Goose 30
Mallard 8
Bufflehead 12
Common Loon 1
Great Blue Heron 1
Great Egret 3
Snowy Egret 1
Glossy Ibis 10 A few in the marsh, 7 on the baseball fields
Osprey 3 Two on the marsh platform
Killdeer 2
Greater Yellowlegs 10
Laughing Gull 200
Ring-billed Gull 200
Herring Gull 5
Great Black-backed Gull 1
Mourning Dove 2
Northern Flicker 1 Heard
Fish Crow 6
Carolina Wren 1 Heard
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 3
American Robin 2
European Starling 8
Song Sparrow 3
Northern Cardinal 1 Heard
Red-winged Blackbird 10
Common Grackle 25
House Sparrow 1

No comments:

Post a Comment