Monday, April 10, 2017

Cattus Island CP 4/10--Tricolored Heron

Tricolored Heron
I had two spots in mind this morning, Cloveredale Farm or Cattus Island. Cloverdale had a couple of reports of rarities that were, let us say, "early," while Cattus had its returning, reliable Tricolored Heron. I decided to go for the easy bird. Cattus Island also has the advantage of a much longer walk than Cloverdale.

The Tricolored Herons were practically a walk-up bird. I didn't even have my binoculars up on the marsh before I saw from the observation platform two wading in the water, which had receded from the flood conditions of the last week.

A couple of more were on the big marsh along the path and a couple more in the marshes out toward the bay. I picked up 34 species, including another look at the Eastern Screech-Owl, but I probably should have gone to Cloverdale instead, despite the dubiety of the reports because, as I was standing on the peninsula as far from the parking lot as I could get at the park, I saw an alert from Greg that he had found a Prothonotary Warbler (or as his auto-correct had it, a "Prasanna Terry Wadler") in the pool across from where I had found one last year. Cloverdale is about a 45 minute drive from Cattus and by the time I got there, of course, the warbler was nowhere to be found. I met Greg and Jeanine there and we searched for a while but it must have moved much farther back in the woods. Too bad. I can see a Tricolored Heron anytime for the next few months. A prothonotary is a great rarity to find in the county.

My Cattus list:
Canada Goose 3
Mute Swan 2
Mallard 2 marsh in back after woods
Bufflehead 30
Red-breasted Merganser 1
Double-crested Cormorant 1
Great Egret 5
Little Blue Heron 1
Tricolored Heron 6
Glossy Ibis 25
Osprey 8 most on nests, very vocal
Herring Gull 10
Great Black-backed Gull 2
Mourning Dove 3 Heard
Eastern Screech-Owl 1
Belted Kingfisher 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1 Heard
Downy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 1 Heard
Blue Jay 5
Fish Crow 10
Tree Swallow 20
Carolina Chickadee 5
Tufted Titmouse 1 Heard
Carolina Wren 1 Heard
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 3
Pine Warbler 1 Heard
Chipping Sparrow 1 Heard
Song Sparrow 5
Northern Cardinal 1 Heard
Red-winged Blackbird 30
Brown-headed Cowbird 1 Heard
House Finch 1 Heard
American Goldfinch 2


No comments:

Post a Comment