Wednesday, September 24, 2014

IBSP Reed's Road 9/24--Black-throated Green Warbler

It seems like every other day there's a good warbler flight at Island Beach SP and I'm there the next day, when there isn't. Sometimes I doubt my birding abilities; but then I run into someone else on Reed's Road who isn't finding much and I just chalk it up to bad timing.

I can't truly complain today though, because just to the north of Reed's Road in a grove of pine and oak which often acts as a migrant trap, I came across, finally, two Black-throated Green Warblers, a relatively easy bird but one that I've missed, to my embarrassment, up until today.

I even managed to get a picture of one of them. Can you find it? It in the lower left quadrant of the photo. I like this picture because, really, this is how we see most of our warblers--through foliage and twigs, skipping around, not standing up right on a bare branch, posing.
I also came across my FOS Ruby-crowned Kinglet; it was following the warbler. And along the way I managed 3 Red-eyed Vireos, a couple of Magnolia Warblers, and one Palm Warbler, wagging its tail. I didn't have the 10 or 12 species of warblers that were being found yesterday, but I'll take it.
17 species
Osprey  1
Herring Gull  1
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1     Heard
Downy Woodpecker  1     
Northern Flicker  6
Red-eyed Vireo  3
Blue Jay  2     Heard
Tree Swallow  20
Carolina Chickadee  1
Carolina Wren  1     Heard
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  1
Gray Catbird  5
Magnolia Warbler  2
Palm Warbler  1
Black-throated Green Warbler  2
Eastern Towhee  2     Heard

I also checked the Winter Anchorage, where Greg & I launch the canoe for our explorations of Great Sedge Island. If the tide is low enough you can scope the sand bar out about 1/4 mile from the boat launch. There were hundreds of, perhaps a thousand sandpipers on the narrow sand bar and while I could have guessed that they were Sanderlings and Semipalmated Sandpipers, I just let them go as peeps. What I really was checking to see was if the small flock of Marbled Godwits that have been hanging out there since late August were still around--they were. They are a supposedly rare bird for Ocean County and since this is the only spot where you'll find them this year, I guess they are.
12 species (+1 other taxa)
Double-crested Cormorant  12
Brown Pelican  1
Great Egret  2
American Oystercatcher  2
Marbled Godwit  6     
peep sp.  500     Conservative estimate. 
Laughing Gull  1
Herring Gull  50
Great Black-backed Gull  1
Caspian Tern  2
Royal Tern  15
Tree Swallow  25
Gray Catbird  1

Finally, I took a walk on the Spizzle Creek Blind Trail, hoping for something out of the ordinary, which I didn't find. However, there were tremendous swarms of Tree Swallows. "Flocks" to me indicates some form of organization, whereas these birds were just swarming haphazardly through the skies (going mostly north, oddly) presumably feasting on the many mosquitoes I was swatting. A mere hint of what I saw in this photo:
I didn't notice the Caspian Tern (extreme upper right) until I was working on the photo.
17 species
Double-crested Cormorant  1
Great Egret  5
Snowy Egret  11
Tricolored Heron  2
Laughing Gull  1
Herring Gull  5
Caspian Tern  1
Mourning Dove  1
Belted Kingfisher  1
Tree Swallow  300
Carolina Chickadee  1     Heard
Gray Catbird  1     Heard
Common Yellowthroat  1
Palm Warbler  1
Swamp Sparrow  1
House Finch  3
American Goldfinch  1

No comments:

Post a Comment