Thursday, March 7, 2013

New Egypt 3/7--Greater White-fronted Goose

New Egypt, NJ
Another bird I don't have to go Somerset County to find anymore!  Yesterday, around mid-afternoon, I noticed someone had listed Greater White-fronted Goose about an hour previous out in New Egypt in the same field that still hold "our" lapwings. It was raining with blustery winds. Still, I almost ran out there to see them until discretion (and Shari) dissuaded me. But this morning, we only had light flurries, so I hustled out there first thing. First, I looked for the Sandhill Cranes: Check. Then I looked for the Northern Lapwings--one...two...three: Check. Then, I walked down the the fence line toward the flock of Canada Geese, careful not to get close enough to spook them and have them move off. I counted as I went along and after goose # 45 found my first Greater White-fronted.  2 more came along as I slowly scanned the field. Two are in the photo above. Can't see them? Blow ups below, good enough for documentary purposes:
GWFG (right bird)

GWFG (bird drinking extreme left & second from right)

GWFG (extreme left & right)
Now I've seen 7 of the 8 New Jersey geese this year. I still need Ross', which would be a lifer.

This field has become an amazing place to look for birds. Today's quick list:
Greater White-fronted Goose  3     White on base of bill. White line along wing separating belly from upper body. Orange feet.
Black Vulture  4
Turkey Vulture  3
Sandhill Crane  2    In corn stubble field to right of cattle field. Large gray birds, red caps.
Northern Lapwing  3    Continuing birds, near mud puddle in cattle field. Grayish green backs in cloudy light.
Rock Pigeon  8
American Crow  2
Carolina Wren  1    Heard
European Starling  1
Northern Cardinal  1    Heard
Red-winged Blackbird  25

No comments:

Post a Comment