Friday, February 17, 2012

Ocean County 2/17: Canvasback + New Yard Bird

Today is the first day of the Great Backyard Bird Count and for the first time since I've been participating, I actually have a backyard. I've entered a couple of lists for the backyard--ironically, we'll be birding in Delaware this weekend, so those are the only 2 lists I'll likely get in for our backyard.

But you can include any area that you bird for the count--they define backyard very loosely. It is really just an extended, digital version of a Christmas bird count. So the walk I took in the WMA this morning is recorded too. The Ring-necked Duck, after not showing yesterday, was on the lake again. I saw him swimming toward the far bank when suddenly 6 Mallards  I hadn't noticed started quacking and flew up and away from him. That duck is probably developing a complex.

I saw on Jerseybirds yesterday that someone had seen one of my wish list ducks in Toms River, so with an ulterior motive, I suggested to Shari that we go out for lunch this afternoon at a place on the water and then take the short drive to Riverfront Landing. And there, sure enough, were 25 Canvasbacks. These ducks are not uncommon, but for some reason I have a hard time finding them, so to see 25 all in one place, 10 miles from home, is a real treat.

When we got home around 3 o'clock, I looked at the feeder hanging outside the back windows and was very surprised to see 2 Brown-headed Cowbirds (m+f) plunked down on the tray gorging themselves. Just yesterday my neighbor had mentioned that he thought he'd seen a cowbird in the back but wasn't certain--he thought it might just have been a starling. He was probably looking at the female of the species.
Photo: Shari Zirlin
That brings our backyard lifetime count up to 52 species.
The combined list for the day: 19 species:

Mallard 6
Canvasback 25
Ring-necked Duck 1
Turkey Vulture 1
Ring-billed Gull 1
Mourning Dove 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
Blue Jay 1
Carolina Chickadee 10
Tufted Titmouse 10
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
Carolina Wren 1
American Robin 5
Song Sparrow 1
White-throated Sparrow 1
Dark-eyed Junco 6
Northern Cardinal 2
Brown-headed Cowbird 2
American Goldfinch 1

No comments:

Post a Comment