Monday, November 1, 2010

Pier 1 Debuts 11/1

Hermit Thrush & House Finch made their debuts at Pier 1 of Brooklyn Bridge Park this morning.  There were also lots of sparrows, particularly juncos--a conservative count of 100 on the lawns, in the marsh, in the trees, on the fly over the East River, basically anywhere I turned there were juncos in sight. The House Finch was feeding with a small flock of them.

I felt like I could have found more birds but I was under dressed, especially in the gloves department. When I could no longer spin the focus knob on my binoculars I decided it was probably a better idea to leave than to continue.

In addition another birder reported on Friday Blue-headed Vireo as well as Field and Savannah Sparrows to add to the list. I was happy to see someone else birding this little patch.

List:
Number of species:    21
Canada Goose    6
American Black Duck    4
Mallard    2
Double-crested Cormorant    2
Ring-billed Gull    10
Herring Gull    1
Great Black-backed Gull    1
Rock Pigeon    8
Eastern Phoebe    1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet    2
Hermit Thrush    1
American Robin    6
Yellow-rumped Warbler    3
Palm Warbler    1
Chipping Sparrow    2
Song Sparrow    5
Swamp Sparrow    1
White-throated Sparrow    5
Dark-eyed Junco    100
House Finch    1
House Sparrow    3

No comments:

Post a Comment