Thursday, April 4, 2024

Mathis Veteran's Memorial Park 4/4--Laughing Gull


There use to be an informal contest among Jersey birders to see who could find the first Laughing Gull of the year. I think Pete Bacinski started it; at least he was the one who seemed to keep track of it. If that contest was still going on today, I would finish a miserable last. Laughing Gull shouldn't be an elusive bird, yet, despite a number of trips to the shore, not to mention Wawa parking lots, I actually had to seek them out today as if they were a rarity. 

After a walk at Double Trouble SP this morning, I drove to the nearest spot where I thought they would be likely and that wouldn't be under water after 3 days of rain--Mathis Veteran's Memorial Park in what I think is Beachwood. This little park fronts onto the Toms River where it gets very wide before entering Barnegat Bay. Sure enough, lining the concrete edge of the parking lot were 35 or 40 Laughing Gulls. Put 'em on the list. 

Embarrassing. 

Not to anthropomorphise, but I think this bird is sneering at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment