Monday, April 22, 2024

Double Trouble SP | Backyard 4/22--Prairie Warbler, Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Rose-breasted Grosbeak
I suppose it's because impatience is one of my defining characteristics that it seemed urgent this morning at Double Trouble that I at least find a Prairie Warbler there, despite knowing that I'm going to see a Prairie Warbler without a doubt this year, barring getting run over by a backhoe.  So instead of taking my usual route up to Ore Pond and back to the village walking along the canal (where the Louisiana Waterthrush often lurks--and did today but eluded me), I headed straight to the Hurricane Sandy Cedar Restoration area and almost immediately heard a Prairie. Talk about a misnamed bird! Prairie Warblers have absolutely no interest in prairies--they should be called Pine Barrens Warblers, so much do they love the jack oaks and pitch pines around here.  Only the Pine Warbler (which lingers all year) seems more of a Piney than the Prairie. 

Everything else there was what I'd expect and had already seen. Not only did I not find the Looie, but there was also no sign of the Pileated Woodpecker reported there yesterday by very reliable birders, which I believe will be a new species for the park, nor did I see the American Bittern someone else found in the reeds, nor did I see the Spotted Sandpiper on one of the ponds. Of those four, the sandpiper is the only one I'm certain I'll see this year. 

I left mid-morning because I had an appointment and came home after that. Putzing around the house, I glanced out the back window and said to myself, "That's no House Finch!" Picking up the bins I was thrilled to see our first Rose-breasted Grosbeak gorging on sunflower seeds. We usually get a Rose-breasted once a year and it may hang for a day or two, but they're certainly not regular. This one seems to be a little early for these parts as it was flagged "rare." But I have the photographic evidence. 

About an hour later our roofmate called me and said, "Larry go look at what's on my feeder." I already knew what it was before I looked back there, but he was just flabbergasted at how stunning this male looked. He says he saw the bird last week so maybe another one spent a day or so here. I don't think we've ever had one stay more than 2 days. 

A Rose-breasted Grosbeak is not a gimme and getting one in the backyard after a disappointing walk at Double Trouble was (ahem) doubly satisfying. 


No comments:

Post a Comment