Thursday, April 13, 2023

Manahawkin WMA 4/13--American Bittern, White-eyed Vireo

I went down to the Manahawkin WMA this morning with the goal of adding a couple of state/county year birds and found two new year birds that weren't even on my mind when I set out. I'd seen Blue-winged Teals and one Short-billed Dowitcher last month down at Bombay Hook, but they don't really count until they're seen in NJ--preferably in Ocean County. In the back impoundment I quickly found the Blue-winged Teal mixed in with a large flock of Green-winged Teals and then a little farther on, a gathering of Short-billed Dowitchers were feeding on the far shore. I was surprised to see them flagged as "rare." Obviously, it's just a timing flag--these are early, perhaps, but Short-billed Dowitchers are not a run down to see 'em bird. Later, on my way back to the woods and fields, they had shifted closer to the trail and I was able to document them. 

Short-billed Dowitchers
My method of late at Manahawkin has been to park on Stafford instead of the lot on Hilliard, so that I can use the scope to check out the impoundments, then double back, put the scope away, and walk back to the upland area. After I ditched the scope I had just come to the "T" when out of the phragmites an American Bittern flushed--a huge brown, striped heron, that flew low over the reeds then landed in another patch, not to be seen again. Bitterns are hard birds anyplace, they camouflage so well, so it is always a thrill to find one--the last few I've seen have been at Spizzle Creek at IBSP, where I do look for them. This bittern was a first, for me, at Manahawkin. 

Glossy Ibis
I was walking around the circular field about 1/2 mile past the impoundments when I heard a bird singing diagonally across from where I was--it was a White-eyed Vireo, which again, I hadn't considered as a target. I should have; it is spring, after all. He was a persistent little fellow and kept up his "pick up the beer check" song the entire time I approached. WE Vireos are usually mid-level birds and this one was no exception--I saw him right in front of me, but in the dense shrubbery so pictures were not going to happen, especially since he decided to jump around once I found him.

So, in all, 4 state/county birds, 2 year birds, 41 for the walk on a surprisingly warm April day. 

Canada Goose  5
Mute Swan  8
Wood Duck  1
Blue-winged Teal  2
Mallard  12
Green-winged Teal  100
Mourning Dove  2
Dunlin  2
Short-billed Dowitcher  8     
Greater Yellowlegs  52     Flocks of 28,4, & 20
Lesser Yellowlegs 
1
Herring Gull  8
Great Black-backed Gull  2
American Bittern  1
Great Blue Heron  1
Great Egret  2
Snowy Egret  1
Glossy Ibis  54
Turkey Vulture  1
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Belted Kingfisher  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  5
White-eyed Vireo  1
Blue Jay  6
Fish Crow  2
Carolina Chickadee  12
Tufted Titmouse  1     Heard
Tree Swallow  8
White-breasted Nuthatch  3     Heard
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  1
Carolina Wren  10
American Robin  6
White-throated Sparrow  5
Savannah Sparrow  1
Song Sparrow  20
Eastern Towhee  1     Heard
Red-winged Blackbird  20
Brown-headed Cowbird  4
Pine Warbler  2     Heard
Northern Cardinal  7

No comments:

Post a Comment