Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Brig 7/28--Black-bellied Whistlling Duck


Since I got a message yesterday that the boards were being pulled on the Lower Bog, today was the last day I could get down to Brig without experiencing Whitesbog FOMO. And since one of my favorite ducks has been reported sporadically for the last couple of weeks, I was down there very early this morning. 

My first stop at the dogleg pool was unsuccessful. I ran into a birder I hadn't seen for quite a while (pandemic and all) and he told me that the duck tended to come out in the afternoon. Of course. And here I was rushing to the spot, blowing off flocks of shorebirds because I was on a mission. We did tease out a Pectoral Sandpiper on a mud flat for our troubles, and as I walked back to where I'd parked the car, I picked up the Stilt Sandpipers he told me were in the water near the cedar stand but I didn't drive down there for them.

On my second go-round I added the "lingering" probably injured Snow Geese and a Gull-billed Tern at GM 5, along with a lone Bank Swallow. On the east dike I saw a familiar vehicle and it was Greg with a couple of other birders. We formed a very loose caravan and made our way up to the dogleg. I was a little ahead of them, scanning all the rose mallow which the duck was said to favor, but I was only finding Mallards. Greg pulled up and immediately had the Black-bellied Whistling Duck in a little channel that I couldn't see from where I stood. I walked back to where they were and got the duck in my scope but I didn't think I would get any photographs. It looked, from our angle, that it would be hidden behind the phragmites from the road. But upon driving up to where we saw it, we found that the vegetation wasn't really all that thick and the duck had decided to swim into the middle of the pool anyway, affording us our photo op. 

Since I had a target bird my list is lighter (68 species) than it would have been had I stopped and scanned every flock of shorebirds. I would also have more fly bites. Frankly, I would have been happy to just have the Whistling Duck on my day list--it is such an interesting looking bird with it's bright red bill and startled look around the eye. And they do whistle, though I've only heard that once. Happy to have it on the list, since I missed it last year. 

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  1       
Snow Goose  2
Canada Goose  60
Mute Swan  20
Wood Duck  8
Mallard  25
American Black Duck  3
Mourning Dove  10
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  1     Heard Jen’s Trail
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1
Semipalmated Plover  1
Stilt Sandpiper  3
Least Sandpiper  6
Pectoral Sandpiper  1
Semipalmated Sandpiper  150
Short-billed Dowitcher  20
Greater Yellowlegs  10
Lesser Yellowlegs  5
Laughing Gull  300
Ring-billed Gull  1
Herring Gull  50
Great Black-backed Gull  5
Least Tern  9
Gull-billed Tern  1
Caspian Tern  5
Common Tern  1
Forster's Tern  45
Black Skimmer  23
Double-crested Cormorant  110
Great Blue Heron  10
Great Egret  25
Snowy Egret  26
Black-crowned Night-Heron  4
Glossy Ibis  60
Osprey  13
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1     Heard
Eastern Wood-Pewee  2     Heard
Great Crested Flycatcher  1     Heard
Eastern Kingbird  6
White-eyed Vireo  4
Blue Jay  1     Heard
American Crow  4
Carolina Chickadee  3     Heard
Tufted Titmouse  2     Heard
Purple Martin  20
Tree Swallow  25
Bank Swallow  1
Barn Swallow  5
White-breasted Nuthatch  2     Heard
House Wren  1     Heard
Marsh Wren  5
Carolina Wren  6     Heard
European Starling  12
Gray Catbird  15
Brown Thrasher  2
Northern Mockingbird  1
American Robin  2
House Finch  1
American Goldfinch  4
Field Sparrow  4
Seaside Sparrow  1     Heard
Song Sparrow  2
Eastern Towhee  1     Heard
Red-winged Blackbird  30
Boat-tailed Grackle  1
Common Yellowthroat  6
Yellow Warbler  1
Northern Cardinal  2     Heard
With Glossy Ibis

No comments:

Post a Comment