Sunday, February 21, 2021

Cloverdale Farm 2/21--Wilson's Snipe

 Usually I get my year Wilson's Snipe at Shelter Cove. But that entails simultaneously slogging through flooded soccer fields and tippy-toeing around approximately two tons of goose shit. It's...awkward. 

So, when I saw snipes reported at Cloverdale Farm, I decided to go over there this morning; at least I know what I'm stepping in when I walk around those bogs. It didn't long at all for me to flush my first snipe from the bog behind the Visitor's Center. First I flushed some Mallards in the half frozen impoundment, then a snipe came zipping out and dived into the reeds. No one seemed happy about my being there. I walked along the cross dike and sure enough, out came a snipe. Obviously, they weren't going to pose today. 

I walked around the bogs in a figure eight pattern and on another cross dike I flushed 3 more snipes. They make a funny little whinny when they first fly. 

Figuring, correctly, that I had no chance of getting a photograph of these cryptic birds, I turned my attention to a species for which Cloverdale is noted, Eastern Bluebird. With a large and well-maintained series of bluebird boxes and excellent habitat, it isn't hard to find bluebirds anywhere in the park. I heard them immediately upon exiting the car and found two in a field next to the parking. Around the visitor's center there were six, then around the old Christmas tree stand there were probably at least a half dozen. Back in the parking lot, before I left, there were again 5 or 6 flying from tree to tree. When the sunlight hits a male bluebird, the color is luminescent. It's like someone pulls a switch and the bird just glows. 

I noticed in my photograph of one of the males that it was wearing a silver band, but I can't read the band despite enlarging the photo. Besides the snipes and bluebirds, other birds I saw there that make me happy included 2 Brown Creepers and a Golden-crowned Kinglet

The full list: 

21 species
Mallard  18
Bufflehead  5
Mourning Dove  1
Wilson's Snipe  4    
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Downy Woodpecker  4
Blue Jay  3
Carolina Chickadee  12
Tufted Titmouse  8
Golden-crowned Kinglet  1     Entrance bog
Red-breasted Nuthatch  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  4
Brown Creeper  2     Parking lot & bog
Carolina Wren  1     Heard
Eastern Bluebird  20    
House Finch  3     Near feeders
American Goldfinch  20
Field Sparrow  1
Dark-eyed Junco  2
Song Sparrow  2
Northern Cardinal  3     Heard

No comments:

Post a Comment