Thursday, January 21, 2021

Franklin Parker Preserve 1/20--Northern Shrike

 I don't get it. Yesterday, I met Mike at the Speedwell Entrance to Franklin Parker Preserve. I've been there plenty of times, but yesterday we were searching an area across the road that I'd never been to, so we were feeling our way in, looking at maps and instructions that previous birders had posted, all in the hopes of finding the latest rarity. When we got to the spot that seemed to match maps & text, I started to scan the tree line without much confidence, but I know that sinking feeling is often a prelude to success. And after a few minutes, I found the Northern Shrike we had come for, far out over the other side of the bog, sitting atop a cedar tree. I got Mike on it, the bird moved to a leafless tree for a moment, then disappeared. Not as exciting as finding the Dovekies this month, but I was impressed I found this little bird in that big area. And that's what I don't get...I can find some relatively nondescript black and gray bird without much effort other than the walk in, but later, when I drove to Pemberton for the umpty-umpth time to search for Sandhill Cranes that have been in the area for a month, I once again had no luck, and twice this year I've gone to Brig, parked at Marker 15, and still haven't found the huge American White Pelican that has been reported there everyday this year (I did see it a couple of times last year). 

So what gives? It isn't skill I'm missing. It doesn't take much skill to find 3 birds that stand 4 feet tall or a gigantic white one. Sometimes I'm diffident about chasing a bird, but I've gone after these two species numerous times, so I can't blame my laziness. So what gives is...find a bird, luck, miss a bird, luck. And try again tomorrow either way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment