Thursday, September 24, 2020

Island Beach SP 9/24--Lincoln's Sparrow

Sparrows, particularly winter sparrows, seemed to be the theme of the day at Island Beach today. I don't know what it portends for the autumn and winter, but 3 sparrows I found today were "rare" this time of year according to eBird. It actually got a little tiresome. Last week when I was there on Scott's field trip, I dumped all my species into one list for Island Beach SP even though right there on the hot spot it says "please consider using a more specific location." It's too hard to make a list for every location when you're trying to keep up with a group. But today, as I usually do, I did make a list for each of my 5 stops, and by the time I got down to Spizzle Creek, I was sick of describing White-throated Sparrows and Dark-eyed Juncos. They're everywhere in the park. They may be early, but they're not rare. Then, along the entrance path to Spizzle, I saw a juvenile White-crowned Sparrow, also, you guessed it, rare. I saw as many sparrows species today as I did warbler species. Migration is shifting and/or I'm lousy at finding warblers. With Red-breasted Nuthatches abundant again this year, after a hiatus last year, it looks like it might be an interesting during the cold weather. 

Dark-eyed Junco and White-throated Sparrows, Spizzle Creek
I also found Savannah Sparrows in the dump and, most interesting to me, a Lincoln's Sparrow popped up in the reeds along the muddy path to the blind at Spizzle Creek. I've seen one there in the past. I knew immediately it wasn't a Song Sparrow when I saw the creamy, striped chest. 

Northern Waterthrush with Snickers Wrapper, Reed's Road
I started the day before the park officially opened birding along the alley between the park and the houses on 24th street. It wasn't as busy as on Saturday but still good. Reed's Road was pretty quiet until I hit the beach where at least there were Northern Waterthrushes and sparrows to watch. Judging from other lists I saw from there contemporaneous with my walk, I didn't do very well--they listed about twice what I found. I didn't feel like spending more time there then I did because I was having one of those "where I am, I should be somewhere else" days and I was anxious to hit as many trails as I could looking for something "good." 

The Tidal Pond Trail had 3 Black-throated Blue Warblers on it, two gorgeous males and a female and Johnny Allen's Cove Trail had Swamp Sparrow. Spizzle was the only spot I saw any waders and I recorded no shorebirds today at all. My last stop was going to be the Winter Anchorage, but the parking lot was full. If the parking lot was full, I reasoned, then there were probably too many crabbers and kayakers out there discouraging any birds from hanging out on the sandbars--which, from Spizzle Creek, didn't look like they were exposed very much anyway he said munching on sour grapes. 

For the 5 stops I managed 46 species. Not much compared to last Saturday, but it was like a rehearsal for fall birding. 

Species   Location
Mute Swan   Reed's Road
Mallard   Reed's Road
Mourning Dove   IBSP Alley
Laughing Gull   Reed's Road
Herring Gull   Reed's Road
Great Black-backed Gull   Tidal Pond Trail & Dump
Double-crested Cormorant   Reed's Road
Great Egret   Spizzle Creek Blind Trail
Tricolored Heron   Spizzle Creek Blind Trail
Black-crowned Night-Heron   Spizzle Creek Blind Trail
Osprey   Tidal Pond Trail & Dump
Belted Kingfisher   Reed's Road
Northern Flicker   IBSP Alley
Merlin   Spizzle Creek Blind Trail
Least Flycatcher   Johnny Allen's Cove Trail
Eastern Phoebe   Reed's Road
Red-eyed Vireo   Tidal Pond Trail & Dump
Blue Jay   Reed's Road
Red-breasted Nuthatch   IBSP Alley
Marsh Wren   Johnny Allen's Cove Trail
Carolina Wren   Tidal Pond Trail & Dump
Gray Catbird   IBSP Alley
Brown Thrasher   Reed's Road
Northern Mockingbird   Tidal Pond Trail & Dump
American Robin   Reed's Road
House Sparrow   IBSP Alley
Chipping Sparrow   Tidal Pond Trail & Dump
Dark-eyed Junco   Reed's Road
White-crowned Sparrow   Spizzle Creek Blind Trail
White-throated Sparrow   Reed's Road
Savannah Sparrow   Tidal Pond Trail & Dump
Song Sparrow   IBSP Alley
Lincoln's Sparrow   Spizzle Creek Blind Trail
Swamp Sparrow   Johnny Allen's Cove Trail
Eastern Towhee   Reed's Road
Red-winged Blackbird   IBSP Alley
Northern Waterthrush   Reed's Road
Nashville Warbler   Reed's Road
Common Yellowthroat   IBSP Alley
American Redstart   IBSP Alley
Northern Parula   IBSP Alley
Magnolia Warbler   Spizzle Creek Blind Trail
Black-throated Blue Warbler   Tidal Pond Trail & Dump
Palm Warbler   Johnny Allen's Cove Trail
Yellow-rumped Warbler   Reed's Road
Northern Cardinal   IBSP Alley

No comments:

Post a Comment