Monday, July 6, 2020

Whitesbog 7/6--Common Nighthawk

Just after dawn, I was standing on the double-laned road at Whitesbog, which is the marker for the boundary between Burlington and Ocean Counties. (The true boundary line is about 100 feet to the east, but for convenience anything to the west of road is Burlco, anything to the east Ocean.) Looking up there were, as I had hoped there would be if I arrived early enough, 3 Common Nighthawks swooping over the Upper Bog, beautiful birds with the white wing patches on the primaries easily discerned in the brightening sky. I was looking west, into Burlington County. I wanted nighthawks for my Ocean County list.

Now, technically, according to eBird protocols, all I had to do was run north down the road, make a right, run another 100 feet east, turn around and see the birds from Ocean County to put them on my Ocean County list. But that's stupid. The birds would still be in Burlington County. Every birding list is a record of a survey (the level of formality changes with the circumstances) and it is a survey of where the birds are not where the birder's feet are. 

Instead, I rooted for the birds to turn around and fly toward me. They were stubborn for a few minutes, but finally one flew above me, then, as I turned around I saw it flying over the water in Ocean County. I had my check mark even if I was still standing in Burlington County. 

And that's how I started my day--with unmitigated silliness. 

The rest of the morning was spent walking my usual routes--along the eastern edge of Union Pond, around Ditch Meadow (Wood Duck) in Burlington County, then going into Ocean County up along the road past the dogleg, over to Big Tank, the Upper Reservoir (a big flock of Tree Swallows, + Brown Thrasher, Orchard Oriole), west along the woods, turn south  and over the dike between the old reservoirs (lots of Eastern Kingbirds), west past the flooded blueberry field and then north along the double-laned road to where I have been parking lately.

In all 34 species for the morning, respectable for a hot, summer morning in the Pine Barrens.
Wood Duck
Mourning Dove
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Common Nighthawk
Great Blue Heron
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Eastern Phoebe
Great Crested Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird
American Crow
Fish Crow
Tufted Titmouse
Tree Swallow
White-breasted Nuthatch
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Carolina Wren
Gray Catbird
Brown Thrasher
Northern Mockingbird
Eastern Bluebird
American Robin
Cedar Waxwing
Field Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
Eastern Towhee
Orchard Oriole
Red-winged Blackbird
Common Grackle
Ovenbird
Common Yellowthroat
Pine Warbler

No comments:

Post a Comment