Sunday, July 26, 2020

Brig 7/26--Long-billed Dowitcher, Least Bittern

As the saying goes, "Fourteenth time's the charm." At least it seems like fourteen times this year that I've
American Avocet
walked or driven by marker 4 on the Wildlife Drive looking for a bird that everyone else seems to have no problem finding. Today, I was there early and, as has become my custom, I started out walking from the parking out to along the start of the drive. Today I got as far as marker 5 where I met a few birders I know. We stood around a bit, admiring the long-staying American Avocets--now no longer considered "rare" at Brig, but still flagged because of the high number (8)--until I turned around because I wanted to get down to the Gull Pond before I was due to meet Bob Auster at the lot. So, I was not really looking anymore for the bird that has eluded me, when, what should pop out of the reeds by the canal, fly across the road, and land once again in the reed, disappearing immediately, but the Least Bittern I'd been seeking all those times these last few months.  Most of my sightings of Least Bittern have been like that--one flushes, I see it fly, I see where it goes, it vanishes, and that's it for the day, I won't find it again. 

Bob arrived on time and after we ran into another birding friend of ours (at #5 again, where the elite meet) we made up a mini-caravan and did a socially-distanced turn around the dikes. Lots of shorebirds and not too much shimmer made for some long stops at various points. In all, we had 15 species of shorebirds, not bad, not great. The only new one for me today was Long-billed Dowitcher, which Chris picked out from a big flock of Short-billed Dowitchers (of both subspecies). Once it was pointed out, it seemed pretty obvious, but, not being a patient birder, it is doubtful I'd have ever picked it out myself. I did, however, come up with a White-rumped Sandpiper (rare for the time of year) at that stop, and a Pectoral Sandpiper up at the dogleg. When Bob and I made a second loop, I also managed to find in the heron roost in the big cedars at the dogleg an immature Yellow-crowned Night-Heron, which was a
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron
year bird for Bob. Our only disappointments were that we were unable to come up with an oystercatcher or Stilt Sandpiper. 

I was there for 8 1/2 hours and recorded 68 species. Probably a walk in the woods would have padded the list with some passerines but it would have been an extremely fly-bitten walk. 

Canada Goose  40
Mute Swan  25
Wood Duck  2
Mallard  27
Mourning Dove  4
Clapper Rail  1    Heard
American Avocet  8    Exact count
Black-bellied Plover  3
Semipalmated Plover  4
Ruddy Turnstone  1
Least Sandpiper  6
White-rumped Sandpiper  1    Crossed wings at tail, larger size
Pectoral Sandpiper  1
Semipalmated Sandpiper  200
Western Sandpiper  1
Short-billed Dowitcher  85
Long-billed Dowitcher  1
Spotted Sandpiper  1    Exit Pond
Greater Yellowlegs  8
Willet  2
Lesser Yellowlegs  5
Laughing Gull  200
Ring-billed Gull  2    Dogleg
Herring Gull  60
Great Black-backed Gull  5    Dogleg
Least Tern  5
Gull-billed Tern  25
Caspian Tern  3
Common Tern  3
Forster's Tern  30
Black Skimmer  45
Double-crested Cormorant  100
Least Bittern  1
Great Blue Heron  5
Great Egret  50
Snowy Egret  15
Black-crowned Night-Heron  8    Four in cedar at dogleg
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron  1
Glossy Ibis  80
Turkey Vulture  2
Osprey  15
Bald Eagle  1
Willow Flycatcher  1    Heard Overlook
Eastern Kingbird  2    One at overlook, one at Gull Pond
American Crow  1
Fish Crow  5
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  10
Purple Martin  40
Tree Swallow  10
Barn Swallow  2
House Wren  1    Heard Parking Lot
Marsh Wren  15
Carolina Wren  1    Heard upland
European Starling  30
Gray Catbird  4
Northern Mockingbird  2
American Robin  1    Parking lot
American Goldfinch  3
Chipping Sparrow  2
Field Sparrow  1    Heard
Seaside Sparrow  3
Saltmarsh Sparrow  1
Song Sparrow  4
Eastern Towhee  1    Heard
Red-winged Blackbird  30
Common Yellowthroat  3
Northern Cardinal  1
Blue Grosbeak  1    Singing at intersection of Gull Pond Road and entrance to Wildlife Drive

No comments:

Post a Comment