Thursday, April 30, 2020

Manasquan River WMA 4/30--Eastern Kingbird, Wood Thrush, Prairie Warbler, Blue Grosbeak

Blurry Blue Grosbeak
On the last day of the month I decided to get away from the local area and see what the Manasquan River WMA had to offer. I added 4 year birds, but the two specialties I was hoping for--Louisiana Waterthrush and Blue-winged Warbler--were not to be found. Frustrating, especially since I know from another birder that I talked to there that Blue-winged was around.

However, I did see a Wood Thrush, which doesn't happen every year, and I tracked down a Blue Grosbeak by song, which made me proud. I heard a Prairie Warbler, which was disappointing in a way; I like to find my first one at Colliers Mills in the spot off Hawkin Road where they breed. 

The waterthrush is probably gone, but the Blue-winged Warblers hang around which means another trip up to Brick. I thought it might be empty in this WMA, yet I had to step aside for someone else on the trail more times than I liked.

34 species
Canada Goose  3
Mourning Dove  2
Herring Gull  15
Double-crested Cormorant  25
Turkey Vulture  2
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  3
Northern Flicker  1
Eastern Kingbird  1
Blue Jay  2    Heard
Carolina Chickadee  3
Tufted Titmouse  4
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  1    Heard
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  4
House Wren  1
Carolina Wren  1    Heard
Gray Catbird  2
Eastern Bluebird  5
Wood Thrush  1
American Robin  25
American Goldfinch  1
Field Sparrow  7
White-throated Sparrow  1    Heard
Eastern Towhee  5
Red-winged Blackbird  10
Common Grackle  1
Ovenbird  10    Heard
Common Yellowthroat    Heard
Palm Warbler  2
Pine Warbler  1
Prairie Warbler  1    Heard
Northern Cardinal  1    Heard 
Blue Grosbeak

No comments:

Post a Comment