Monday, April 6, 2020

Home 4/6--Eastern Whip-poor-will

This afternoon Shari & I were speculating when we might hear our first whip-poor-will. "Maybe the middle of the month," I said, "I'll have to look up when we've heard it." I didn't get around to checking my records in eBird. Doesn't matter. At 11:12 PM, as I was sitting in the living room reading, I noticed something pecking at my consciousness--with a start I called "Shari" and to assure her nothing was wrong, immediately added "Whip-poor-will!" She rushed into the room, her breath minty from being in the middle of brushing her teeth.

I opened the window. "Aah, it's already stopped," I said.

And then it sang again, from the one of the trees in the retention basin next to our house.

It is the happiest I have been in a month.



(And by the way, it beats the record by two days)

No comments:

Post a Comment