Saturday, February 1, 2020

North Coast Ponds & Inlets 2/1--Laughing Gull, Merlin

Laughing Gull, Manasquan Inlet
I drove up to Point Pleasant Beach for Carole's NJ Audubon trip to the ponds and inlets on what you might call the "Southern North Coast," which ends at PPB and starts at the Shark River, though we do the trip in the reverse. Because I was early, I made my first stop Lake of the Lilies. In the large scaup flock (stipulated: there are both greater and lesser in the flock) I was hoping for a Redhead to slip in but, as was the case on Wednesday, no. However, a bird I wasn't expecting zipped right by me--a Merlin on a mission flying low and fast over the pond and behind a house.

There was no construction going on at the Manasquan Inlet so we were able to access the jetty. The attraction there was the very cooperative Razorbill that was bobbing at the mouth of the inlet. The looks were fairly close, which was very satisfying since it was a lifer for one of the members of our group. After a trip back to Lake of the Lilies and a lesson on scaup identification (all of which I know but most of the time cannot apply), we returned to the inlet, birding the western part along the parking lot. There, right in front of where I parked my car, was an immature Laughing Gull, which I didn't notice until Carole pointed it out. This is probably the same gull I didn't find on Wednesday. A LAGU in mid-winter is very unusual in these parts but the weather has been warm which must be part of the explanation.

It is certainly the explanation for the dearth of ducks on the ponds and inlets. In the autumn ducks get physiologically ready to migrate but they don't actually move until they have to--a propensity I have to say I share with them. So, not only is warm down here, but it is warm up there and that's where, I'll wager, all the ducks are. Of course, warm for a duck and warm for me are two different climates--I could use another 30 degrees tacked on to today's high. Wreck Pond had very little on it, aside from a hefty flock of Gadwalls, Lake Como and Silver Lake had geese and gulls, the Shark River inlet had a few loons, and the Shark River Marina had the usual stupendous numbers of Mute Swans and Brants, along with the expected Buffleheads & Red-breasted Mergansers.

Eurasian Wigeon with American Black Duck (digiscope)
My final stop (I had to cut out a little early to go up to Iselin) was Maclearie Park where we hoped to find the ever-present Eurasian Wigeon. I plunked down my scope and before I could even begin a scan of the American Wigeon flock, Carole announced that she had the bird. It was sleeping on a little patch of beach in front of a concrete block encasing culverts. That was easy. This must be the same drake returning for the 3rd or 4th year or else there is something mysteriously attractive about this stretch of the water along Rt 35 between the park and the Shell station to Eurasian Wigeons.

My last bird of the day was a Northern Mockingbird up at the family homestead in Iselin.
44 species to start the month.
Species   First Sighting
Brant   Manasquan Inlet
Canada Goose   Lake of the Lilies
Mute Swan   Wreck Pond
Northern Shoveler   Wreck Pond
Gadwall   Wreck Pond
Eurasian Wigeon   MacLearie Park
American Wigeon   MacLearie Park
Mallard   Lake of the Lilies
American Black Duck   Manasquan Inlet
Greater Scaup   Lake of the Lilies
Lesser Scaup   Lake of the Lilies
Surf Scoter   Spring Lake
White-winged Scoter   Manasquan Inlet
Black Scoter   Manasquan Inlet
Long-tailed Duck   Manasquan Inlet
Bufflehead   Manasquan Inlet
Hooded Merganser   Lake of the Lilies
Red-breasted Merganser   Manasquan Inlet
Ruddy Duck   Lake of the Lilies
Mourning Dove   Lake of the Lilies
American Coot   Lake of the Lilies
Purple Sandpiper   Manasquan Inlet North Side
Razorbill   Manasquan Inlet
Laughing Gull   Manasquan Inlet
Ring-billed Gull   Lake of the Lilies
Herring Gull   Lake of the Lilies
Great Black-backed Gull   Lake of the Lilies
Red-throated Loon   Manasquan Inlet
Common Loon   Manasquan Inlet
Double-crested Cormorant   Lake of the Lilies
Great Blue Heron   Lake of the Lilies
Bald Eagle   MacLearie Park
Red-tailed Hawk   MacLearie Park
Merlin   Lake of the Lilies
Fish Crow   Manasquan Inlet North Side
Carolina Wren   Wreck Pond
Northern Mockingbird   18 Aberdeen Avenue
House Sparrow   Lake of the Lilies
Song Sparrow   Lake Como
Common Grackle   Wreck Pond
Boat-tailed Grackle   Manasquan Inlet
Northern Cardinal   Lake Como

No comments:

Post a Comment