Thursday, January 2, 2020

Bamber Lake 1/2--Common Goldeneye

Common Goldeneye, hen
Because the sound of a vacuum cleaner sends me into fits, I didn't want to be home during our fortnightly house-cleaning, so, reading that a Common Goldeneye had been spotted at nearby Bamber Lake, I drove down there. Goldeneyes are not rarities, but they are hardly common on the lakes and ponds around here. Usually, I have to stop off at one of two spots in Harvey Cedars on Long Beach Island to find them and usually it is cold and windy and I'm tired from walking the beach at Barnegat Light, so getting one on the list early and so close to home made me happy. I also figured I'd get some other waterfowl on the county list, but aside from a couple of Tundra Swans (there is usually a flock here), two Buffleheads, and a pair of Pied-billed Grebes, the lake was a watery bird desert. Not even Canada Geese were on it. 

It's been a slow start for the county list--I'm up to 25. I took my walk in the Whiting WMA this morning because the car was in the shop. The only bird back there that isn't an expected denizen of our backyard was Golden-crowned Kinglet. Golden. I detect a theme for the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment