Sunday, May 19, 2019

Waretown 5/19--Mississippi Kite

I spent the morning at Manasquan River WMA. Birds that two weeks ago would have been happy events were today just checks on the list. I found nothing new. I did enjoy, as always, the bluebirds--their blue backs never cease to astonish me.

Because I started so early there, it was only mid-morning when I finally exhausted the place. Looking through the alerts, I saw that once again the Mississippi Kites had been spotted in Waretown. This is the 5th year running that they have returned to out of the way residential neighborhood. I drove down there with my usual misgivings about traipsing around with my binoculars on those quiet streets. I arrived just before 11, and decided to give myself until 11:15.

I parked my car a block away from the intersection where the "kite tree" stands, which also affords the most open look at the sky. I was looking for the most inconspicuous place to stand when I looked up to my right and saw one of the kites sailing away. I got a good look at it, checked the time (less than 6 minutes), turned around and went back to the car.

I met the birder who originally found the kite in 2015 across the street from her house. What luck that the birds decided to nest near a birder--otherwise they might go unnoticed all these years. Which brings up the question of what else we're not seeing because birders aren't looking in every backyard. I thanked her and told her that now I didn't have to be on her street for another year.

So, I added one more bird for the year, blunting somewhat the disappointment of this morning's walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment