Thursday, August 2, 2018

Great Bay Blvd 8/1-2

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron
Looking at the lacunae on my Ocean County list, I thought the only bird I could reasonably expect to find this time of year was Yellow-crowned Night-Heron and the only place I could reasonably expect to find it in the county was Great Bay Blvd. The tides, though, were against me, being low very early in the morning. Still, I thought the laughably named "boulevard" gave me the best chance to see some birds.

Yesterday, at the old boat launch I thought I had my target bird, a juvenile, but when I went home and closely studied the pictures, I could see the tell-tale wash of yellow on the lower mandible and knew that it was, unfortunately, yet another Black-crowned Night-Heron. For two birds that look very dissimilar as adults, the juveniles can be very difficult to pick apart. The mnemonic is that Yellow-crowns have black bills while Black-crowns have yellow on the bill. There's also something about punctuation marks--one bird has periods, the other has exclamation points (or "bangs" as we used to call them in printing) but I can never keep it straight. Yellow-crowns also appear to stand taller and are generally slimmer, but from a distance, this can be very subjective.

So I went back down again today. It was interesting to see the shorebirds switch so quickly. Yesterday I had one Short-billed Dowitcher; today, 63. Yesterday Semipalmated Sandpipers were the predominate peep; today it was Least Sandpipers. I didn't see any Black-bellied Plovers or Spotted Sandpipers yesterday; today I did.

But there were no Yellow-crowns hanging out with the dozens of egrets, both great and snowy. Yesterday a few Black-crowns were stand-offish from the larger flocks of herons and egrets--today I only found one juvenile, roosting int he cedars near the 2nd wooden bridge. I got excited at first, thinking it was the target, but look at the bill: I thought it was a Black-crowned juvie, but Bob Auster informs me that despite the little bit of yellow in the bill, it is, indeed, a Yellow-crowned juvie.

But right after I took this photo I heard a squawking coming from the back of the grove and saw a bird fly out. I rushed around to the old boat launch area and saw, standing on a piling the adult pictured above. Adults are easy. I felt good.

Just to show you how maddening this can be, at the left is a photo of a juvenile Yellow-crown that I found when I walked north up to the first wooden bridge (when it rains...etc). note its slimmer appearance, how it has the same build as the adult, and, of course, its all black bill.

So, despite the greenhead flies (which weren't that bad when there was a breeze), I walked about 10 miles up and down Great Bay during the two days and found it worth my while. The southerly migration is getting good: 7 species of waders, 9 species of shorebirds (but no Willets!), 42 species in all:
Canada Goose
Mallard
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Little Blue Heron
Black-crowned Night-Heron
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron
Glossy Ibis
Osprey
Bald Eagle
Clapper Rail
Black-bellied Plover
Semipalmated Plover
Ruddy Turnstone
Least Sandpiper
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Short-billed Dowitcher
Spotted Sandpiper
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
Laughing Gull
Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Common Tern
Forster's Tern
Black Skimmer
Rock Pigeon
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Tree Swallow
Barn Swallow
Gray Catbird
Northern Mockingbird
European Starling
Common Yellowthroat
Yellow Warbler
Seaside Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
Red-winged Blackbird
Boat-tailed Grackle

Great Egrets roosting just north of 2nd wooden bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment