Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Double Trouble SP 5/9--Eastern Wood-Pewee, Veery

Eastern Wood-Pewee on Parkway Access Road
Warblers, warblers, where are the warblers? I went to Double Trouble early this morning and didn't come up with a new warbler for the year. Then I looked at eBird and saw that someone was there at the same time I was (though I didn't see this birder, otherwise I would have done some bird-glomming) and found all kinds of warblers I would have loved to see. How do I miss so many warblers? I have many theories; none of them redound to my credit.

However, it wasn't a complete bust of a morning (if walking around in the woods can ever be considered a bust). Along Mud Dam Road, historical spot for Hooded Warblers (of which I heard two), I briefly saw a thrush pop up on a branch--no spots equals Veery. This piney allee is also a good place for Veery. I often hear one singing late in the spring when they are supposedly gone from the county, so I suspect it is a nesting spot for at least one bird that returns.

I walked out on the bogs, but instead of circling them, as I usually do, I continued along Parkway Access Road (which has no access to the parkway) as it continued into the woods. I was hoping that some warblers would appear there, though none did. Just catbirds and more catbirds until I heard "Pe-uh-wee!" Ah, Eastern Wood-Pewee, another FOY bird. I was thinking I was going to have to list it as "heard only" on my eBird list when it very nicely flew into a tree on the trail--and I wasn't even pishing. I got one distant shot of it--it's that grayish lump in the middle of the photo. I continued back onto the front bogs, looked around the packing house, came up with nothing else of note and didn't see any profit in continuing--it is still cold for May (or March) and the winds are not propitious for migration.

33 species
Canada Goose 2
Mallard 9 bog
Turkey Vulture 1
Cooper's Hawk 1
Bald Eagle 1
Mourning Dove 1 Heard
Northern Flicker 1 Heard
Eastern Wood-Pewee 1 Parkway Access Road
Eastern Phoebe 2
Great Crested Flycatcher 2 Heard
White-eyed Vireo 1 Heard
Blue Jay 2 Heard
Fish Crow 2
Tree Swallow 2
Barn Swallow 20
Carolina Chickadee 4
Tufted Titmouse 1 Heard
Veery 1
Wood Thrush 2 Heard
American Robin 5
Gray Catbird 25
Ovenbird 20
Black-and-white Warbler 1 Heard
Common Yellowthroat 5
Hooded Warbler 2 Heard
Yellow Warbler 1 Heard
Pine Warbler 2
Prairie Warbler 5
Song Sparrow 1
Northern Cardinal 2 Heard
Red-winged Blackbird 15
Common Grackle 4
American Goldfinch 1 Heard


No comments:

Post a Comment