Monday, June 15, 2015

Story Behind the Sign (Or, "Shari, I don't think we're in Brooklyn anymore")

Last week I was behind this Silverado and snapped a quick shot through the windshield for my signs collection. Today, as I was pulling into the Manchester town dump, the truck was in front of me again. When we parked at the dumpster I asked the owner what the sign on his tailgate meant. As I suspected, he felt the truck was a lemon and then proceeded to tell me his tale of woe. Apparently there is something wrong with the computer in the truck that is "irreparable" and neither his dealer nor GM will take the truck back and give him a new one. His misadventures with local Chevy dealerships were disheartening since one of them works on our Saturn.

Of course, I knew I was getting a biased account. It is truly hard for me to believe that any dealer would tell a customer to "get the fuck out" of his shop. It isn't hard for me to believe, though, given my own experiences with the GM ignition debacle, that something is seriously wrong with his car.

He told me that he's going to court with GM and that soon he has to give a deposition to GM's lawyers. He's a retired "prototype tester," so he feels he has an advantage over the average car buyer since he drove vehicles for a living. He's a little crusty, a little arrogant, and very pissed off. It occurred to me that all this might add up to him being the type of guy who thought he could fight GM on his own. I asked him, in parting, if he had a lawyer.

"Oh yeah! I got me one of them crazy lawyers--he's Jewish!"

I'm glad I asked him in parting, because I didn't want to talk to him anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment