Friday, May 3, 2013

Forsythe--Barnegat 5/3--Semipalmated Plover

After leaving Manahawkin, I drove up 9 toward Forked River; I wanted to go to our vet and buy more syringes for our diabetic cat. When I reached Bay Avenue in Barnegat, though, I impulsively turned right, figuring I'd see what those Forsythe impoundments held.

At first it looked like a wasted detour. I didn't see much out on the flat other than lots of Barn & Tree Swallows skimming the marsh and roosting on driftwood. But after scoping a bit I started to pick out some yellowlegs and then I found a couple of Semipalmated Plovers. I wasn't sure if they were considered rare this time of year (they're not) so I digiscoped them. Here's one:





















I drove around the bend to the viewing platform and there I did find a rarity--at least for this time of year. A lone drake Northern Shoveler was in the shallows, shoveling the water.


























So the stop was definitely worth the detour. Surprisingly, there were very few herons or egrets around. Usually, this time of year, it's a good place to find them.
Forsythe-Barnegat List:
19 species 1/2 hour of observation
Canada Goose  8
Mute Swan  1
American Black Duck  3
Mallard  2
Northern Shoveler  1    Seen from observation deck
Great Egret  1
Snowy Egret  2
Semipalmated Plover  2
Greater Yellowlegs  8
Least Sandpiper  1
Herring Gull  2
Forster's Tern  5
Fish Crow  1
Tree Swallow  10
Barn Swallow  25
Carolina Chickadee  1
Common Yellowthroat  1    Heard
Red-winged Blackbird  2
Common Grackle  5

No comments:

Post a Comment