Monday, April 8, 2013

Double Trouble SP 4/8--Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

Here is the hot spot in Double Trouble SP: behind the sawmill. I've been stopping there the last few times I've birded the park and this is where I find the largest concentration of birds. Today I had Eastern Phoebe, Northern Cardinal, Carolina Wren, American Robin, as well as my first Ocean County Ruby-crowned Kinglets and my first Blue-gray Gnatcatcher of the year. Previously, in the colder weather, it has been a great spot for sparrows; woodpeckers like it back there too. I guess because it is a secluded spot with lots of tangles for protection the birds gravitate toward it.

But today was not cold. No, today truly felt like the first day of Spring, and it seemed like birds were on the move, especially Golden-crowned Kinglets which appeared to be everywhere. Chipping Sparrows were mixing with the juncos. It is time for the juncos to leave, but apparently they don't know that.

Out on the bogs it was fairly quiet--Mallards were the only waterfowl, though each bog seemed to have its own Great Egret.

For my 2 mile figure 8 around the bogs plus my 1 mile loop to the lake and back I had 23 species on the day.

Mallard  9
Double-crested Cormorant  1    Lake
Great Egret  3
Turkey Vulture  1
Eastern Phoebe  5
Blue Jay  1
Tree Swallow  6
Carolina Chickadee  4    Heard
Tufted Titmouse  2
White-breasted Nuthatch  2    Heard
Brown Creeper  2
Carolina Wren  1    Heard
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  1    Behind sawmill
Golden-crowned Kinglet  12
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  3
American Robin  8
Pine Warbler  5
Chipping Sparrow  7
Song Sparrow  3
Dark-eyed Junco  6
Northern Cardinal  2
Red-winged Blackbird  5
House Finch  1

No comments:

Post a Comment