Saturday, February 2, 2013

Crestwood Village 2/2--Hermit Thrush

Temperature in the mid 20's and the winds calm--lately, that seems like pretty good weather. I was determined to get out and move around after another sedentary day yesterday, so I took one of my neighborhood walks. This walk includes suburban streets, a couple of wood lots, an artificial pond, a power-line cut, and a drainage basin behind CVS. I still think it's pretty amazing what I can find in such seemingly unpromising habitat.

The Bird A Day was a Hermit Thrush I found in the woods at the back of the pond on Schoolhouse Road. These birds aren't particularly rare, just relatively hard to find--hence "hermit." The pond was half frozen, which concentrated the Mallards and gulls for easy viewing. Nothing rare or remarkable there.

In the woods near the entrance to Village 5 (I always think it sounds like we live in interment camps here) I could hear the flock of turkeys moving around and found three of them, one male, tail spread, strutting whether to impress the hens or the other toms I couldn't tell.

For my two hours outside I tallied 21 species and 10 frozen fingers despite wearing 2 pairs of gloves.
Canada Goose  1    Heard
Mallard  63
Wild Turkey  3    In woods off Schoolhouse & Penwood
Turkey Vulture  1
Ring-billed Gull  13
Mourning Dove  3
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1    Heard
Downy Woodpecker  2    Tree, corner of Pembroke
Blue Jay  5
American Crow  1
Carolina Chickadee  15
Tufted Titmouse  5
Red-breasted Nuthatch  2
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
Carolina Wren  1    Heard
Hermit Thrush  1
Song Sparrow  2
Dark-eyed Junco  5
Northern Cardinal  2
House Finch  2
American Goldfinch  2

No comments:

Post a Comment