Thursday, October 25, 2012

Horicon Lake 10/24---Magnolia Warbler = Ocean County #188

The Magnolia Warbler I was surprised to see yesterday at the back of Horicon Lake (the swampy area) was the 188th species I've seen in Ocean County, eclipsing by one the total I had in my former home county of Kings (Brooklyn). The only county I've seen more species is Queens in NY, location of Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge, one of the great birding hot spots in the country. It will only take 3 more species here in Ocean to beat that. I also stand tied in the state numbers of NY & NJ. One more bird added to the list anywhere in this state and...and what? I don't know. It will just seem significant to me to have seen more species in New Jersey than anywhere else.

Yesterday's list:
14 species
Pied-billed Grebe  3
Ring-billed Gull  2
Belted Kingfisher  1
Northern Flicker  1
Blue Jay  2
Carolina Chickadee  1    Heard
Northern Mockingbird  1
Magnolia Warbler  1    1st winter female
Yellow-rumped Warbler  3
Eastern Towhee  2
Song Sparrow  2    Heard
Swamp Sparrow  2
White-throated Sparrow  9
Dark-eyed Junco  1

No comments:

Post a Comment