Saturday, July 21, 2012

Whiting WMA 7/21--Solitary Sandpiper

The level of the lake in the WMA has slowly been going down, leaving mud flats around the water's edge. Shari thought that perhaps this exposed ground might attract sandpipers, and, as one of our friends has said many times, Shari is right 98% of the time. Today, while scanning the lake from a little hill, I found my FOY Solitary Sandpiper (eye ring, dark shoulder, green-yellow legs) tottering (as opposed to teetering like a Spotted Sandpiper) on a small grassy patch that wasn't there last week. I was wondering if all the stormy weather the last few days would blow in anything new. The SOSP was it though, all the other species were the common ones in the WMA. Lots of juveniles, including bluebirds, robins, yellowthroats, Chipping Sparrows, and towhees.

I remember the first time I ever saw a Solitary Sandpiper. It was in the Berkshires at Sue's & Roy's place, down by the beaver pond that was pretty low that year, the beavers having moved on. I never expected to find a sandpiper up there in the hills. I remember running back to tell Sue what I'd seen. I don't think she was particularly wowed. I wasn't keeping records then but it was probably 20 years ago.

20 species for the day.
Mallard  2
Solitary Sandpiper  1    at lake
Mourning Dove  10
Eastern Wood-Pewee  2    Heard
Blue Jay  3
Fish Crow  2    Heard
Carolina Chickadee  15
Tufted Titmouse  5
White-breasted Nuthatch  4
House Wren  5
Eastern Bluebird  3
American Robin  15
Gray Catbird  2    Heard
Common Yellowthroat  3
Pine Warbler  3
Eastern Towhee  15
Chipping Sparrow  15
Song Sparrow  1
Northern Cardinal  2
American Goldfinch  2

No comments:

Post a Comment