Sunday, July 29, 2012

Instant Swamp

It rained heavily last night. The thunderstorms at Brigantine yesterday were nothing compared to what we had here in Whiting starting around 8:30 last night. Still, it was just rain, not a hurricane.

When I got up this morning and looked out the kitchen window, the slump looked funny to me--the ground seemed brighter somehow but I didn't think much of it--a trick of the light the groggy brain decided.

It took Shari to point out to me that the slump was filled with water--it was acting as it was designed as a catch basin for rainwater runoff. We had an instant swamp, which is impressive considering that after the hurricane last summer there was barely a puddle in there.

I put on my muck boots and waded out there--I wanted to see how deep it was. I can report that it was over a foot deep before I stopped, not wanting the water to run over the tops of my boots. The prickly pear cactus that grows in the sandy soil (good for drainage but not for plants) was sticking out of the water at the edge and completely submerged in the middle.


Our bird house sits surrounded by water. Happily, the occupants are gone--it's hard enough for a fledgling to learn to fly, never mind swim too.

Our new body of water reminded me that while we were visiting our friend in the Berkshires a couple of weeks ago, Sue and I were wondering what the difference was between a swamp and a marsh. Without going into all the geology and biology, the basic difference, it seems, is that a swamp has trees and hardwood bushes growing in it and is fed by a river or a stream, while a marsh is next to a body of water, like a bay or lake and is overgrown with reeds and grasses, but generally, no trees.

So, for the time being, we have a swamp next to the house. I'm curious as to how long it will take to drain.

1 comment:

  1. Surreal photos of the under water prickly pears...it's easy to imagine the slump wet, but not the cactus.

    We've had some rain, which is bit by bit bringing water back to the swamp. A pair of ducks are back, hooray.

    ReplyDelete