Thursday, February 10, 2011

Possible Epiphany at Pier One

UPDATE 2/15: I see that 2 Ruddy Ducks have been reported at Pier One by a birder whose identification skills I would certainly trust. SO:
I went down to Pier One again today. There was nothing new, though while I was scanning the ducks around the pilings I thought I saw a Ruddy Duck. They've been reported there this year, but I still haven't seen one, which struck me as odd since I'm there a lot and you'd think I'd have stumbled upon one by now.


However, upon closer examination my Ruddy turned out to be a hen Bufflehead. That's when I had my possible epiphany--maybe the Ruddies being reported are actually Buffleheads. After all, a hen Bufflehead could easily be mistaken for a winter plumaged Ruddy, either drake or hen. Both species have white patches on their faces, they're about the same size, and they both dive. The difference, of course, is that hen Buffleheads have a small white patch below the eye, while the Ruddies, both M & F, have much larger patches, with the hen having a dark stripe running through hers.


I'm not saying that's the case, that the birds are being misidentified, but there have been some suspect sightings down there of late, leading one to wonder. Of course, I could go down there tomorrow, spot a RUDU and then have to put a big black X through this whole entry.

Today's little list:
Number of species:    8
Brant    27
Canada Goose    3
Gadwall    15
American Black Duck    10
Bufflehead    2
Ring-billed Gull    6
Herring Gull    3
American Robin    1

No comments:

Post a Comment