Thursday, September 23, 2010

Prospect Park 9/23

I thought I was doing all right today in the park--I found a couple of towhees, 8 species of warblers (lots of yellowthroats and waterthrushes), a Veery, a couple of very vocal Carolina Wrens, etc. The White-throated Sparrows are back. 35 species in all--not bad, not amazing, but not bad I thought, until I saw the list for the Brooklyn Bird Club walk this morning--77 species! Yikes. Granted, there were 15 or 16 pairs of eyes to my one set, and of course, some of those birders are a lot better than I am at quick identification, but still--more than double my total? I crossed paths with the walk on the south side of the lake and stopped to chat for a little while with a couple of the birders I know. They both said that up until that point it had been pretty slow. If they were having a slow morning than what was I having? Very discouraging.

While I was standing around with the group a few of them spotted a Willow Flycatcher in a tree--but I couldn't find it and asking for its location would have been futile--what part of the cloud of leaves is it in? So I realize that I probably walk by a dozen species either through inattention or impatience.

But, just to give a sense of how many species of birds are in that park, I still found 4 species that they didn't see. So then I wonder, "How did they overlook those birds?" They didn't find the towhees, they didn't find the phoebe, or the Song Sparrows--how come I did? Luck, I guess. What I find is luck; what they find is skill.
With all that said, here's the list:
Prospect Park

Number of species:     35
Canada Goose     65
Mute Swan     7
Wood Duck     4     Upper Pool
Mallard     50
Northern Shoveler     4     South Lullwater
Double-crested Cormorant     3
Red-tailed Hawk     1
Rock Pigeon     40
Mourning Dove     11
Red-bellied Woodpecker     7
Downy Woodpecker     1
Northern Flicker     4
Eastern Wood-Pewee     1     Vale
Eastern Phoebe     1     Vale
Red-eyed Vireo     1     Peninsula
Blue Jay     9
Black-capped Chickadee     1     Lookout Hill
Carolina Wren     2     Lookout Hill, both very vocal.
Veery     1     Behind Boathouse
American Robin     23
Gray Catbird     25
European Starling     2
Northern Parula     2     South shore of lake
Magnolia Warbler     3
Yellow-rumped Warbler     2     South shore of Lake
Palm Warbler     2
Black-and-white Warbler     2     South shore of Lake
American Redstart     2
Northern Waterthrush     5     South shore of lake
Common Yellowthroat     7
Eastern Towhee     2     M&F. Lookout Hill
Song Sparrow     3
White-throated Sparrow     5
Northern Cardinal     10
House Sparrow     70

No comments:

Post a Comment