Monday, October 21, 2024

Great Bay Blvd 10/21--Nelson's Sparrow

                                               Gee, but it's great to be back home!
                                                                                                         --Paul Simon

Nelson's Sparrow (for the moment)
For the last week or so I've been very happy to go to my usual birding haunts like Whitesbog, Colliers Mills, and the old cranberry bogs in South Toms River (where I was surprised to find all the derelict buildings had been torn down--my first thought, "Where will the Barn Swallows nest?). Today, I took a little longer drive down to Great Bay Blvd in Tuckerton. Autumn is a good time down there to look for odd sparrows and probably the best place around to find Nelson's Sparrow, though it isn't easy. (Aside: Poor Nelson, whoever he was, is going to lose his eponymous bird which was only recently split off from Saltmarsh Sparrow because of the silly "No Eponyms" rule that is being introduced though no announcements of any new names have been made yet. Fame is fleeting.)

The place to look for them is at the inlet and the best time is when the tide is high, giving the little buggers less acreage to inhabit. The tide seemed pretty high when I got there, and sparrows were diving into the spartina wherever I walked but I couldn't get even a lousy look at them to see if they were Nelson's. The sparrows that did stay still were all Song Sparrows so my trudging back and forth on the sand yielded no target bird or even its cousins like Seaside Sparrow or Saltmarsh. 

It is my custom after walking on the beach to walk the road north, usually up to the first wooden bridge. It's a better way to find birds than cruising along in the car. I found plenty of Black-bellied Plovers and Greater Yellowlegs, a couple of Palm Warblers, and the common sparrows. I even found one Seaside Sparrow out in the marsh. But it was a total accident when, looking a couple of Great Egrets and a Great Blue Heron out in the marsh, I saw in the reeds about half the distance to the big birds a sparrow with an orange and gray face--I took pictures but they didn't show the field mark I was looking for (a blurry chest) but I did manage to see it once when the wind turned the sparrow, clinging to a stalk, my way. I was pretty surprised since I can't recall ever finding a Nelson's that wasn't scampering around near the water. 

Hermit Thrush
The other species that caught my attention were the big numbers of Forster's Terns still around, especially the big flock that flew by and roosted near the Rutgers buildings, a Blue-headed Vireo at one of the bridges where the night-herons roost, and a Hermit Thrush that was in the sparrow spot at 700 Great Bay Blvd. In all, 35 species for the day.

American Black Duck  1
Clapper Rail  3
Black-bellied Plover  185
Lesser Yellowlegs  2
Greater Yellowlegs 
55
Ruddy Turnstone  3
Dunlin  9
Herring Gull  30
Forster's Tern  50
Double-crested Cormorant  12
Black-crowned Night Heron  15
Snowy Egret  6
Great Egret  15
Great Blue Heron  5
Osprey  1
Belted Kingfisher  3
Blue-headed Vireo  1
Blue Jay 
1
American Crow  1
Tree Swallow  40
Carolina Wren  1
European Starling  150
Hermit Thrush  1
House Finch  20
Field Sparrow  1
Dark-eyed Junco  1
White-throated Sparrow  8
Seaside Sparrow  1
Nelson's Sparrow  1
Song Sparrow  9
Swamp Sparrow  1
Red-winged Blackbird  10
Boat-tailed Grackle  50
Palm Warbler  2
Yellow-rumped Warbler  7

Ruddy Turnstone


No comments:

Post a Comment